Interesting coffee facts we like:
- Coffee is actually a seed. We call it a bean because its resemblance to beans.
- 10-15% of coffee cherries have a naturally occurring defect that allow only one seed to grow per cherry as opposed to two. This produces a smaller, rounder seed called a peaberry, rumored to taste better, the peaberry is hand sorted and could just be better selected.
- Caffeine occurs in coffee as a natural insect repellent! Generally higher grown coffee has less caffeine as it needs less protection against insects.
- A typical espresso has 60mg of caffeine, however a South African coffee company, Black Insomnia coffee, holds the title as the world’s strongest coffee at 702mg per cup! Yikes!
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world, second only to Crude oil.
- Around 400 billion cups of coffee are served annually worldwide, that’s a lot of coffee!